Not so fast, recreational and hobby drone flying have rules too!
Millions of people around the world have gotten their hands on their own drones and they are being used for personal entertainment.
BUT, many are unaware of the safety and legal aspects accompanied with the use of UAVs for recreation.
If you are using your drone for your own personal interests and not making any money on the side, you are a recreational user / hobbyist, and as such there are certain rules that must be followed.
The regulations for the recreational side of UAV operation can often be overlooked, but are actually quite simple. So, here is a quick run down of the essential guidelines for recreational drone flying.
1. Fly below 400 feet at all times.
2. Stay clear of manned aircrafts and other obstacles.
3. Keep your eyes on the prize, your drone that is, at all times.
4. Avoid flying in dangerous weather conditions.
5. Never, under any circumstances, fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
6. Avoid flying over people and private properties.
7. Respect others’ privacy, and do not survey and film without permission.
8. Do not fly within five miles of an airport, or contact the airport tower before doing so.
9. Always ensure the air space and all equipment is safe prior to take off.
Learn more about flying legal and safe by attending an Empower UAV Training Course!